World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pletzl

Article Id: WHEBN0020593892
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pletzl  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pletzl, Pletzel, Kossar's Bialys, Isaac Schneersohn, Jewish quarter (diaspora)
Collection: 4Th Arrondissement of Paris, Jewish Communities, Jews and Judaism in Paris, Pletzl
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pletzl

4th Arrt
Pletzl
Arrondissement 4th
Quarter Saint-Paul . Le Marais
Length 500 m (1,600 ft)
Width 500 m (1,600 ft)
Creation 1881
Denomination The Pletzl

The "little place",
the Jewish quarter in Paris

The Pletzl (פלעצל, "little place" in the Yiddish language) is the Jewish quarter in the fourth arrondissement of Paris, France. The Place Saint-Paul and the surrounding area were, unofficially, named the Pletzl when the neighborhood became predominantly Jewish because of an influx of immigrants at the end of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth.

When the Parisian Jews were expelled from the city 600 years ago, it was here in the Marais district that they settled. (The Marais was just outside the city wall at the time.) The depth and diversity of the community have grown over the years through immigration from Eastern Europe and North Africa. The area is now characterised by its synagogues, butchers, Jewish delicatessens, and falafel vendors, which provide a social and cultural fabric for its inhabitants.

The darkest days for this community came during the Second World War, when Vichy collaboration with the Nazis resulted in the raids in which many residents were abducted and sent off to death camps. Today, the community is an Orthodox one, extremely religious, and most citizens belong to one of the three local synagogues; one located at 17, rue des Rosiers, another at 25, rue des Rosiers and the one at 10, rue Pavée, an art nouveau temple designed by Hector Guimard, famous for his work on the Paris Métro.

Contents

  • Why Pletzl? 1
  • Metro station 2
  • The streets of the Pletzl 3
  • Notable attractions 4
  • Bibliography 5
  • References 6
  • Gallery 7

Why Pletzl?

Some time ago, the City of Paris installed a plaque at the corner of the Rue des Rosiers and the Rue Ferdinand Duval that explains why the Jewish quarter is known as the "Pletzl". Translated, it reads:

Fleeing persecution, Ashkenazi Jews flooded into Paris beginning in 1881. They found places living among their co-religionists already established in the Marais. By 1900, about 6,000 had arrived from Rumania, Russia and Austria-Hungary; 18,000 more arrived in the years preceding the First World War. Installed in considerable numbers in the Rue des Écouffes, the Rue Ferdinand Duval (named Rue des Juifs, "Jews Street", until about 1900), and the Rue des Rosiers, they constituted a new community, the "Pletzl", the "little place" in Yiddish, and they created the École Israelite du Travail (Israelite Trade School) at 4B, Rue des Rosiers. The life of this community was evoked in the Roger Ikor novel, Les Eaux Mêlées ("Agitated Waters"), [which won the Prix Goncourt in 1955]. More than half of them perished in the Nazi concentration camps.

Metro station

The Pletzl is:
___
Located near the Métro stationSaint-Paul.

The streets of the Pletzl

  • Rue Pavée
  • Rue des Rosiers
  • Rue Ferdinand Duval
  • Rue des Écouffes
  • Rue des Hospitalières-Saint-Gervais
  • Rue Vieille du Temple

Notable attractions

Bibliography

  • Etude remarquable de Nancy Green : The Pletzl of Paris : Jewish immigrant workers in the Belle époque, New York ; London : Holmes and Meier, 1986, IX-270 p. ; éd. fr., Les Travailleurs immigrés juifs à la Belle époque : le " Pletzl " de Paris, Paris, Fayard, 1985, 360 p.

References

  1. ^  

Gallery

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.