World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

RFA Reliant (A131)

Article Id: WHEBN0000527100
Reproduction Date:

Title: RFA Reliant (A131)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 846 Naval Air Squadron
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

RFA Reliant (A131)

History
RFA EnsignUnited Kingdom
Name: RFA Reliant
Builder: Gdańsk Shipyard
Launched: 6 July 1976
Completed: 20 January 1977 as Astronomer
Commissioned: 16 November 1983 as Reliant
Decommissioned: 25 July 1986
Renamed: April 1989 as Wealthy River
Struck: 1986
Fate: Sold back into merchant service on 27 October 1986 and renamed Admiralty Island. Arrived at Alang for demolition on 9 July 1998
General characteristics
Displacement: 28,000 tons full load
Length: 204 m (669 ft)
Beam: 31 m (102 ft)
Draught: 7.9 m (26 ft)
Propulsion: 1 x 10 cyl Sulzer diesel, 29,000 bhp. One shaft
Speed: 28 knots (52 km/h)
Complement:
  • 61 RFA
  • 150 RN
Armament: 4 x 20 mm guns
Aircraft carried: Up to five Westland Sea King

RFA Reliant (A131) was a helicopter support ship of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.[1][2][3] She was built in 1977 in Poland, at the Gdańsk Shipyard, as a conventional container ship with roll-on/roll-off capability for loading vehicles and containers. She was named Astronomer. She was taken up from the trade in 1982 for service in the Falklands War as an aircraft transport after being fitted with a temporary mid-ships flight deck and hangar forward. At the end of 1982 she was chartered by the UK MoD and a more substancial conversion was undertaken, and was fitted with the Arapaho containerized aircraft handling system, a hangar and a flight deck and she was commissioned into the RFA Fleet as RFA Reliant III. Her first operational sortie was to the coast of Lebanon in support of the Multinational Force in Lebanon and the British Army units based in Beirut, eventually evacuating the same in February 1984. Upon returning to UK she proceeded to the Falklands for what was expected to be an extended deployment. However, it did not last long as the Arapaho system proved to be completely unsatisfactory for handling aircraft. She was decommissioned in 1986 and sold back into conventional merchant service.

References

  1. ^ Marriott,Leo, 'Royal Navy Aircraft Carriers 1945-1990', pages 115-117, ISBN 0-7110-1561-9, Published by Ian Allan Ltd (Surrey, UK), 1985
  2. ^ Adams,T.A., Smith,J.R., 'The Royal Fleet Auxiliary - A Century of Service', page 139, ISBN 1-86176-259-3, Jointly Published by Chatham Publishing (London, UK) & Stackpole Books (PA, USA) in association with the RFA Association, 2005
  3. ^ James,Tony, 'The Royal Fleet Auxiliary 1905-85', page 128, ISBN 0-907771-21-1, Published by Maritime Books (Cornwall, UK), 1985


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.