World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rhythm (literary magazine)

Article Id: WHEBN0023177569
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rhythm (literary magazine)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Katherine Mansfield, John Middleton Murry, Modernist Journals Project, How Pearl Button Was Kidnapped, The Woman at the Store
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Rhythm (literary magazine)

Cover of Rhythm, Spring 1912

Rhythm (briefly known as The Blue Review) was a literary, arts, and critical review magazine published in London, England from 1911 to 1913.

The first issue of Rhythm was a summer 1911 edition. It was a quarterly until after the Spring 1912 issue, when it began to publish monthly. The final issue under the name Rhythm was published in March 1913; in May 1913, the magazine resumed publication under the name The Blue Review. After publishing additional issues in June and July 1913, the magazine then ceased publication.

The magazine, sometimes referred to as a "little magazine", was focused primarily on literature, music, art, and theatre.

Throughout its history, the magazine was edited by John Middleton Murry, with Katherine Mansfield serving as the associate editor from June 1912 until the magazine folded. Its title was borrowed from a major painting of a female nude (a drawing of which appears on its front cover) by J. D. Fergusson who became its art editor.[1] The magazine went through three separate publishers: it began with St Catherine Press; when it became a monthly, it was published by Stephen Swift & Co. Under the name The Blue Review, it was published by Martin Secker.

Notable contributors

Notes

References

  • Angela Smith, "Katherine Mansfield and Rhythm", Journal of New Zealand Literature, no. 21 (2003), pp. 102–121.

External links

  • , Magazine Data File
  • Brown University: cover-to-cover, searchable digital edition of all issues, from No. 1 (Summer 1911) to No. 14 (March 1913)
  • Modernist Journals Project: cover-to-cover, searchable digital edition of all three issues (May - July, 1913)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.