World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Saint Gevork Monastery of Mughni

Saint Gevork Monastery
Սուրբ Գեւորգ Վանք
The Church of Saint Gevork
Saint Gevork Monastery of Mughni is located in Armenia
Saint Gevork Monastery of Mughni
Shown within Armenia
Basic information
Location Mughni, Aragatsotn Province,
 Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Architectural description
Architect(s) Reconstruction: Sahak Khizanetsi and his successor Murat
Architectural type Cruciform central-plan inside; Rectangular plan outside
Architectural style Armenian
Completed 14th century. Reconstruction of the drum and dome 1661-1669
Specifications
Dome(s) 1

The monastery of Saint George (

Contents

  • Architecture 1
  • Gallery 2
  • References 3
    • Bibliography 3.1
  • External links 4

Architecture

The church of Saint Gevork stands within a rectangular walled monastery. It has a single cylindrical drum notable for the horizontal alternating striped pattern that surrounds it, and a conical umbrella type dome above. The striped pattern repeats some within the interior portion of the dome. The front façade is made up of a triple-arched walkway with an arch on either side adjacent that leads underneath a belfry. The belfry consists of sixteen equally spaced columns with an equal amount of smaller arches that support the weight of the cupola above.

A main portal leads into the church decorated by an intricately carved arched lintel and door frame. Another smaller doorway is located on the façade to the right of the front of the church. It is almost as intricately carved as the main entry door.

Many portions of the stonework on the church of Saint Gevork use two colors of stone; a darker grey tuff and an apricot colored tuff. In particular the doorways, the drum, the peaks of the façades, and the capitals of the rectangular columns of the triple-archway in front are accentuated by the alternating stone colors.

In the interior of the church there are numerous religious Naghash Hovnatan whose other works include decoration of the Etchmiadzin Cathedral and other churches near Yerevan and Agulis. A single marble tomb sits in a room adjacent to the apse with semi-circular stone of green marble on top worn down from the many people who have touched it. It is said to come from Jerusalem. A chapel built in the 6th century had at one point served to house the remains of S. George, but was later replaced by the church of Saint Gevork.

Gallery

References

Bibliography

  • Hacikyan, Agop J. (2005), The Heritage of Armenian Literature, Vol. 3: From the Eighteenth Century to Modern Times,  
  • Kiesling, Brady (2005), Rediscovering Armenia: Guide,  

External links

  • Armeniapedia.org: Saint Gevork Monastery of Mughni
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.