World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Frediano in Cestello

Article Id: WHEBN0011121010
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Frediano in Cestello  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Via Camillo Cavour, Torre degli Alberti, Torre degli Amidei, Giardino dell'Iris, Loggia del Pesce
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

San Frediano in Cestello

Church of Saint Fridianus
(Chiesa di San Frediano in Cestello)
Dome and bell tower of San Frediano.
Basic information
Location Florence, Italy
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Florence
Architectural description
Architect(s) Gherardo Silvani; Giulio Cerutti; Antonio Maria Ferri
Architectural type Church
Groundbreaking 1680
Completed 1689
View from the Ponte alla Carraia

San Frediano in Cestello is a church in the Oltrarno section of Florence, Tuscany, Italy.

The name cestello derives from the Cistercians who occupied the church in 1628. Previously the site had a 1450s church attached to the cloistered Carmelite convent of Santa maria degli Angeli.

In 1680-1689, the church was rebuilt on the designs of Gherardo Silvani and Giulio Cerutti. The imposing cupola and bell tower added in 1689 by Antonio Maria Ferri.

In the former convent of the site lived and died Saint Magdalena de Pazzi (1566–1607), born to a noble Florentine family. She was renowned for her ecstasies, during which she had visions of the divine will favoring church reforms. She was canonized by 1662. Her body was transferred to the church in central Florence that bears her name.

The interior is frescoed with a Glory of the Magdalen and Virtue (1702–1718) by Antonio Domenico Gabbiani. The cloisters contain a statue of St. Maria Maddalena de' Pazzi (1726) by Antonio Montauti and a St. Bernard of Clairvaux defeats the devil (1702) by Giuseppe Piamontini (1702). The latter cloister was designed by Gherardo and Piefrancesco Silvani.

The refectory has a Last supper and a painting by Bernardino Poccetti. In the transept is a Madonna in glory with saints by Francesco Curradi and a painting of a Crucifixion with saints and Martyrdom of St. Lawrence (late 15th century) by Jacopo del Sellaio. In the third chapel to the left, is a polychrome wooden Madonna and child (1350) by a follower of Nino, the son of Andrea Pisano, and frescoes of the Scenes from the life of the founder of the Cistercian order (1688–1689) by Pier Dandini.


  • Borsook, Eve (1991). Vincent Cronin (general editor), ed. The Companion Guide to Florence. Harper Collins. pp. page 322. ISBN 000215139-1. 

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.