World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Saba, Rome

Article Id: WHEBN0000541471
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Saba, Rome  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jorge Medina, San Saba, Augustin Bea, Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum, Jean Jérôme Hamer
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Saba, Rome

San Saba is an ancient basilica church in Rome, Italy. It lies on the so-called Piccolo Aventino, which is an area close to the ancient Aurelian Walls next to the Aventine Hill and Caelian Hill.

The current Jorge Medina Estévez. The titulus was established in 1959.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Structure 2
  • References 3
  • External links 4

History

According to legend, St. Silvia, mother of Pope Gregory I, had an estate at the site. After her death, so legend reads, her estate was transformed into an affiliate monastery of St. Andreas, the monastery which Gregory I founded at the site of today's San Gregorio al Celio. This legend can be traced back to have originated from the 12th century, when in context of Renovatio Romae and Church Reform, the monastery of San Saba was meant to be provided with a long and local tradition.

San Saba seen from outside the external wall.

The historic origin of the religious site goes back to the year 645. In this year, Palestine fugitive monks from the monastery of St. Sabas (Mar Saba, Palestine) who had fled their home country after the Islamic invasion, came to Rome to attend the Lateran council. After the council, these Sabaite monks settled down in an old domus (=noble estate) on the "Piccolo Aventino", which at this time was deserted due to the big decrease in Rome's population numbers. Here, they founded an eremitic cell. The Sabaites introduced the cult of St. Sabas to Rome. In ancient sources, their monastery however goes by the name cellas novas or cellaenovae, which refers to the cellae (=cells) of their mother abbey, Mar Saba.

The Sabaite monastery prospered quickly and for a long time. In the 8th and 9th centuries, San Saba was one of the most prestigious of Rome and among the leading "Greek" monasteries. It received rich papal donations. Since 680, its abbots held important diplomatic roles in the relationships between Rome and Byzantium, and represented the Roman Church and Pope at several church councils in Constantinople.

In 768, Antipope Constantine II was held prisoner in this monastery, before being killed by the Lombards.

The Benedictine monks of Monte Cassino received the church after it was rebuilt in the 10th century. Anselm, the nephew of St Anselm, was one of its abbots before departing to England as a papal legate. After many years of decay, the basilica was completely renovated in the 13th century, after being ceded to Cluniac monks. In 1503 the Cistercians were entrusted with the church, which in 1573 was finally conveyed to the Jesuits (and their German seminary Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum).

Structure

The church, preceded by a small porch from the 13th century, has a nave with two aisles. These end with three apses. The interior is characterized by numerous interventions from different ages. The columns are from ancient buildings, and the floor is an example of Cosmatesque marble art from the beginning of the 13th century. The main artpieces are the notable frescoes in a room on the left side of the church, the so-called fourth nave: they portray the miracles of St. Nicholas.

The crypt, built on the house of St. Silvia, holds the relics of St. Sabas. The sacristy houses a fragment of fresco from the very first church (8th century).

References

  • "San Saba", Nyborg.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.