World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Vitale, Rome

Article Id: WHEBN0004069851
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Vitale, Rome  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 401, John Fisher, Francesco Conti (bishop), Basilica churches in Rome, 4th century in architecture
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Vitale, Rome

Basilica of Sts. Vitalis, Valeris, Gervase and Protase
Basilica di Santi Vitale e Compagni Martiri in Fovea (Italian)
Basilica Ss. Vitalis, Valeriae, Gervasii et Protasii(Latin)
Façade of the Basilica of San Vitale
Basic information
Location Rome, Italy
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Year consecrated 401
Ecclesiastical or organizational status Minor basilica
Leadership Adam Maida
Website Official website
Architectural description
Architectural type Church
Architectural style Roman
Direction of façade SE
Groundbreaking ca. 400
Specifications
Length 60 metres (200 ft)
Width 18 metres (59 ft)

The Basilica of Sts. Vitalis, Valeris, Gervase and Protase (Italian: Basilica di Santi Vitale e Compagni Martiri in Fovea, Latin: Ss. Vitalis, Valeriae, Gervasii et Protasii) is a titular minor basilica church in Rome. The Roman Catholic church is commonly named Basilica di San Vitale. The Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Vitalis is Adam Maida.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Exterior 2
  • Interior 3
  • Cardinal Priest of the Basilica di San Vitale 4
  • External links 5

History

The basilica was built in 400, and consecrated by Pope Innocent I in 401/402. The dedication to St. Vitalis and his family (Saint Valeria, his wife, and Sts. Gervasius and Protasius, their sons) is dated to 412. This church is recorded as Titulus Vestinae in the acts of the 499 synod of Pope Symmachus, and three presbyters are listed.

San Vitale was restored several times, the most important being the rebuilding by Pope Sixtus IV before the Jubilee of 1475, and then in 1598, 1938 and 1960. The church is currently located several metres under the level of the street (via Nazionale), that it faces.

Exterior

The portico is the most ancient part of the church, possibly dating back to the 5th century. It was altered at the end of the 16th century. The inscription on the portico, with the arms of Pope Sixtus IV, dates from this time. Pope Pius IX built the staircase to the 5th century portico in 1859.

Inside

Interior

The church has a single nave, with walls frescoed with scenes of martyrdom, among which a Martyrdom of St Ignatius of Antioch, in which a ruined Colosseum is depicted.

The apsis, original of the 5th century, is decorated with a fresco by Andrea Commodi, The Ascent to Calvary.

Cardinal Priest of the Basilica di San Vitale

Among the previous titulars, Gennaro Cesio, appointed in 494 by Pope Gelasius I, and St. John Fisher, martyred in 1535 by Henry VIII. The current Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Vitalis is Adam Maida.

Free bread was distributed to the poor by the church according to the will of a Roman nobleman, Francesco Silla.

External links

  • Official website of the Basilica di San Vitale
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.