World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Santi Bonifacio e Alessio

Article Id: WHEBN0008017968
Reproduction Date:

Title: Santi Bonifacio e Alessio  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Alexius of Rome, Eusébio Scheid, List of basilicas in Italy, Antonio Mancini, Churches of Rome, Giuseppe d' Annibale, List of titular churches in Rome
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Santi Bonifacio e Alessio

Coordinates: 41°53′01.13″N 12°28′43.85″E / 41.8836472°N 12.4788472°E / 41.8836472; 12.4788472

The Basilica dei Santi Bonifacio e(d) Alessio is a church on the Aventine Hill in Rome, Italy, dedicated to Saint Boniface of Tarsus and Saint Alexius.

Founded between the 3rd and 4th centuries, it was restored in 1216 by Pope Honorius III (some columns of his building survive in the present building's eastern apse), in 1582, in the 1750s by Tommaso De Marchis (his main altar survives), and between 1852 and 1860 by the Somaschi. The 16th century style facade, elaborated from the De Marchis phase, is built onto the medieval-style quadriportico.

The church has a Romanesque campanile. On the south side of the nave is the funerary monument Eleonora Boncompagni Borghese of 1693, to a design of Giovan Contini Batiste and in the south transept the Chapel of Charles IV of Spain, with an icon of the Assumption of the Madonna dating from the 12th century, thought to have been brought back from the east by St. Alexius. The church also contains the tombstone of Peter Savelli (of the same family as Honorius).

A Romanesque crypt survives below the church, whose main altar contains relics of St Thomas of Canterbury. It has a 12th-century wall of frescoes of the Agnus Dei and symbols of the Four Evangelists, along with one in the north aisle of "Saint Girolamo Emiliani introducing orphans to the Virgin" by Jean Francois De Troy, and at the end of the aisle "The Holy Steps and the titular church of Saint Alexius" in wood and stucco by Andrea Bergondi.

The basilica has been a cardinal title church from 1587. In 1587 it was called Sant'Alessio. In the 19th century the former dedication of the basilica was renewed, so from that time on the official name of the basilica and the cardinal title are Santi Bonifacio e Alessio.

See also

External links

  • Rome City
  • Ss. Bonifacio ed Alessio Cardinal Title Church
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.