World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Selborne Priory

Article Id: WHEBN0018288301
Reproduction Date:

Title: Selborne Priory  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Dissolution of the Monasteries, Selborne, Selborne Common
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Selborne Priory

Selborne Priory
Monastery information
Full name Priory of St Mary, Selborne
Order Augustinian canons
Established 1233
Disestablished 1485
People
Founder(s) Peter des Roches
Site
Location Selborne, Hampshire, England
Coordinates

51°06′14″N 0°55′21″W / 51.10393°N 0.92261°W / 51.10393; -0.92261Coordinates: 51°06′14″N 0°55′21″W / 51.10393°N 0.92261°W / 51.10393; -0.92261

Visible remains some earthworks
Public access no

Selborne Priory was a priory of Augustinian canons in Selborne, Hampshire, England.

Foundation

The priory was founded in 1233 by Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester. The bishop initially endowed the priory with lands obtained by gift from James de Acangre, James de Norton, and King Henry III. The canons had the manor of Selborne with all its privileges and the churches of Selborne, Basing and Basingstoke. The foundation was confirmed by Pope Gregory IX in September, 1235

13th to 15th centuries

The house acquired numerous small endowments over the years, but also various obligations such as the upkeep of the vicarages of the various churches. The original foundation was for fourteen canons but by the mid fifteenth century this number had fallen to just four and the priory was in serious debt.

Dissolution

On 21 April 1478 the general chapter of the Augustinian Order authorised a visitation by the priors of Breamore and Tortington. And on 2 September 1484 Bishop Waynflete appointed a commission for the annexing of the priory to Magdalen College, Oxford. The evidence given to the commission showed that there were no canons in residence and the buildings were dilapidated. The decree of annexation was pronounced on 11 September 1484 and confirmed in 1485.

Post-Dissolution

After the suppression a chantry priest was maintained by the college at Selborne, to celebrate masses for the benefactors and founders of both college and priory. The muniments of the priory were transferred to the college and kept in the Founder's Tower.

Present day

No visible remains of the buildings can be seen above ground. Archaeological investigations were carried out in the 1960s and 1970s finding the remains of the church, cloister and other buildings. The surviving muniments are one of the most complete sets for any religious house in the country.

References

  • , The Victoria County History 1973
  • The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd, 1967

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.