World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sherwood, Texas

Article Id: WHEBN0011788416
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sherwood, Texas  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Irion County, Texas, List of cities in Texas, List of ghost towns in Texas, List of unincorporated communities in Texas, San Angelo, Texas metropolitan area
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sherwood, Texas

Sherwood
Ghost town

The 1901 Irion County Courthouse in Sherwood
Sherwood
Sherwood
Location within the state of Texas

Coordinates: 31°16′53″N 100°47′43″W / 31.28139°N 100.79528°W / 31.28139; -100.79528Coordinates: 31°16′53″N 100°47′43″W / 31.28139°N 100.79528°W / 31.28139; -100.79528

Country United States
State Texas
County Irion
Population (2000 est.)
 • Total 73
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
Area code(s) 325

Sherwood is a ghost town in Irion County, Texas, United States. It served as the county seat until 1939, when it was supplanted by neighboring Mertzon.

History

Sherwood was founded in 1886, and when Irion County was organized in 1889, it became the county's seat of government and a courthouse was built. The town received a post office in 1881, with William S. Kelly as first postmaster[1] and by 1900 the population exceeded 300. When the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway built a line across the county in 1910, Sherwood was bypassed and the new railroad town of Mertzon was established. As was the case with many small towns bypassed in the early days of rail transportation, Sherwood was essentially doomed. Commerce soon began to move to Mertzon, and in 1939 the seat of government relocated there as well. Today, Sherwood is home to an estimated 73 residents; the former Irion County Courthouse, built in 1901, still stands at the center of town and functions as a community center. The post office closed in 1974.[1]

References

  • Handbook of Texas Online entry for Sherwood.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.