World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0001462156
Reproduction Date:

Title: St-Jean-Pied-de-Port  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lower Navarre, Imanol Harinordoquy, John III of Navarre, Catherine of Navarre, Italian War of 1521–26, Etxeberria, Spanish conquest of Iberian Navarre
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Old bridge over river Nive

Coat of arms

Coordinates: 43°09′54″N 1°14′08″W / 43.165°N 1.2356°W / 43.165; -1.2356Coordinates: 43°09′54″N 1°14′08″W / 43.165°N 1.2356°W / 43.165; -1.2356

Country France
Region Aquitaine
Department Pyrénées-Atlantiques
Arrondissement Bayonne
Canton Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Intercommunality Garazi-Baïgorri
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Alphonse Idiart
 • Land1 2.73 km2 (1.05 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 1,754
 • Population2 density 640/km2 (1,700/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 64485 / 64220
Elevation 159–320 m (522–1,050 ft)
(avg. 180 m or 590 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (literally meaning "Saint John at the foot of the mountain pass" in French) (Basque: Donibane Garazi) is a commune in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques department in south-western France close to Ostabat in the Pyrenean foothills. The town is also the old capital of the traditional Basque province of Lower Navarre. This is also the starting point for the Camino Frances, the most popular option for travelling the Camino de Santiago, and appeared in the movie The Way.


The town lies on the river Nive, 8 km (5.0 mi) from the Spanish border, and it is the head town of the region of Cize (Garazi in Basque). It is made up essentially of one main street with sandstone walls encircling.

Neighboring municipalities


The original town at nearby Saint-Jean-le-Vieux was razed to the ground in 1177 by the troops of Richard the Lionheart after a siege. The Kings of Navarre refounded the town on its present site shortly afterwards.

The town was once a part of the Spanish province of Navarre and the Basque language is still spoken on both sides of the border and they still share similar traditions.

The town has traditionally been an important point on the Way of St. James, the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, as it stands at the base of the Roncevaux Pass across the Pyrenees. Pied-de-Port means 'foot of the pass' in Pyrenean French. The routes from Paris, Vézelay and Le Puy-en-Velay meet at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and it was the pilgrims' last stop before the arduous mountain crossing.

In 1998, the Porte St-Jacques (city gate) was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Sites as part of the sites along the Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France.

Main sights

The cobbled rue de la Citadelle runs down hill and over the river from the fifteenth century Porte St-Jacques to the Porte d'Espagne by the bridge. From the bridge, there are views of the old houses with balconies overlooking the Nive. Many of the buildings are very old, of pink and grey schist, and retain distinctive features, including inscriptions over their doors. One, a bakery, lists the price of wheat in 1789.

The 14th century red schist Gothic church, Notre-Dame-du-Bout-du-Pont, stands by the Porte d'Espagne. The original was built by Sancho the Strong of Navarre to commemorate the 1212 Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa where Moorish dominance of Spain was undermined.

Above the town at the top of the hill is the citadel, remodelled by Vauban in the 17th century.

Outside the walls is a new town, with the Hôtel de Ville and a pelota fronton.


Traditional crafts and foods remain in the town, including Basque linen from the Inchauspé family since 1848. The town is now an important tourist centre for the Pyrenees and the French Basque country and there are shops, restaurants and hotels.

The Basque cuisine is one of the finest cuisines around. St-Jean-Pied-de-Port specializes in fromage de brebis or OssauIraty, sheep's cheese, local trout and pipérade, omelette with peppers and Bayonne ham.

Mondays see a large market, with sheep and cattle driven into the town. At 5pm, there is a communal game of bare-handed pelote at the fronton. There are large fairs four times a year.


Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port is the terminus on the railway line from Biarritz to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Notable people

See also


  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • (French)
  • Tourist office website
  • Webpage about the fortifications
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.