World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St Gabriel's Church, Weoley Castle

Article Id: WHEBN0020558413
Reproduction Date:

Title: St Gabriel's Church, Weoley Castle  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jami Masjid and Islamic Centre Birmingham, Chinese Pagoda, Northfield Manor House, Darul Barakaat Mosque, Birmingham Union Workhouse
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St Gabriel's Church, Weoley Castle

St. Gabriel's Church, Weoley Castle
Denomination Church of England
Churchmanship Anglo Catholic
History
Dedication St. Gabriel
Administration
Parish Weoley Castle
Diocese Birmingham
Province Canterbury

St. Gabriel's Church, Weoley Castle is a parish church in the Church of England located in Weoley Castle, Birmingham.

History

The church dates from 1934,[1] and is by the architect E F Reynolds.

The parish was assigned out of St. Laurence's Church, Northfield and St. Mary's Church, Selly Oak in 1933.

The land was given by James Goddington Ledsam. Originally it was to be called St. Michael and All Angels, Northfield, but it was consecrated as St. Gabriel, Weoley Castle, perhaps to avoid the risk of confusion with St. Michael and All Angels' Church, Bartley Green.

The calvary was sent in 1948 by Ernest William Barnes, Bishop of Birmingham from Saint Gabriel`s, Deritend and was that parish's memorial of the First World War.

Part of the parish was later transferred to St. David's Church, Shenley Green.

Organ

The church has an historic organ dating from 1777 by John Snetzler which was originally located in St. James' Church, Wednesbury and then St. Andrew's Church, West Bromwich. It was moved here in 1940. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.

References

  1. ^ The Buildings of England, Warwickshire. Nikolaus Pevsner
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.