World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St Stephen's Church, Bournemouth

Article Id: WHEBN0017025394
Reproduction Date:

Title: St Stephen's Church, Bournemouth  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Dorset, Percy Whitlock, St Peter's Church, Bournemouth, Grade I listed buildings in Dorset
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St Stephen's Church, Bournemouth

St Stephen's Church, Bournemouth

50°43′24″N 1°52′51″W / 50.7232°N 1.8807°W / 50.7232; -1.8807Coordinates: 50°43′24″N 1°52′51″W / 50.7232°N 1.8807°W / 50.7232; -1.8807

Denomination Church of England
Churchmanship Anglo-Catholic
Website Dedication Saint Stephen
Administration
Parish St Peter with St Stephen
Deanery Bournemouth
Archdeaconry Bournemouth
Diocese Winchester
Province Canterbury
Clergy
Vicar(s) Rev. Robin C N Harger
Laity
Organist(s) Ian F Harrison

St Stephen's Church is an Anglican church in Bournemouth, Dorset (formerly in Hampshire). The liturgical life of the Church is deeply rooted in a rich Anglo-Catholic tradition; the Church boasting a magnificent Lady Chapel, celebrating Marian masses, benediction and recitation of the Rosary for The Society of Mary. Devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham is also encouraged.

Background

Designed by architect John Loughborough Pearson the church was built in stages between 1881 and 1898, as a memorial to Alexander Morden Bennett, first vicar of St Peter's Church, Bournemouth. A spire was never added to the tower.

Legend has it that Pearson's aim when he designed St. Stephen's church was to create a building "which brought people to their knees." With the great artistry and painstaking attention to detail that went into St. Stephen's construction, people believe Pearson was able to achieve just that.

Vicars

  • 1881 - 1911 Fr Alexander Sykes Bennett
  • 1911 - 1928 Fr George Philip Trevelyan
  • 1928 - 1944 Fr Philip Harold Rogers
  • 1944 - 1952 Fr Geoffrey Heald
  • 1952 - 1958 Fr Francis John Michael Dean
  • 1958 - 1962 Fr Charles Edward Burnett Neate
  • 1962 - 1970 Fr George Percy Wilkins
  • 1970 - 1973 Fr Anthony Douglas Caesar
  • 1974 - 1983 Fr John David Corbett
  • 1983 - 1987 Fr John Catlin
  • 1987 - 1994 Fr Paul Hastrop
  • 1994 - Fr Robin Harger

Music

Aside from its architectural design, St. Stephen's church is also famous for its superb music and songs, as performed by the church's large choir. Each summer, the choir renders a classical series of music by Mozart, Haydn and Schubert.[1]

The church has an organ by William Hill dating from 1898. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.

List of organists

  • 1881 - 1893 T.J.Baker
  • 1894 - 1930 Henry Holloway, D.Mus. FRCO
  • 1930 - 1935 Percy Whitlock
  • 1936 - 1966 Cyril Knight, FRCO,FLCM
  • 1967 - 1975 Spencer Fackerell
  • 1976 Roger Hill
  • 1976 - 1982 Cyril Knight
  • 1982 - 1988 Ian Harrison, BA, FRCO, FTCL
  • 1988 - 1994 Anthony Wood, ARCO
  • 1994 - Ian Harrison

See also

  • List of new ecclesiastical buildings by J. L Pearson

References

Anglicanism portal
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.