World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tendon, Vosges

Article Id: WHEBN0015930790
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tendon, Vosges  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Vosges department, Arches, Vosges, Archettes, Arrentès-de-Corcieux, Aumontzey
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Tendon, Vosges

Church and town hall
Church and town hall
Coat of arms of Tendon
Coat of arms
Tendon is located in France
Country France
Region Lorraine
Department Vosges
Arrondissement Épinal
Canton Remiremont
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Gérard Clément
Area1 21.85 km2 (8.44 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 494
 • Density 23/km2 (59/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 88464 / 88460
Elevation 409–807 m (1,342–2,648 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Tendon is a commune in the Vosges area of Lorraine in northeastern France. Its inhabitants are known as Todas, there is a village and around 60 settlements in the area. The history of the area dates back to the middle ages.


The Grande Cascade

Tendon is a comune in the heart of a long valley, composed of a village and about 60 settlements. Situated 19 kilometres to the East of Épinal, Tendon lies in the valley of the Scouet, a tributary of the Vologne via the Barba. 492 hectares are occupied by forest. Le Tholy is 8 km away via the Bonne Fontaine col at an altitude of 677 m.


The ban of Tendon (Tandon), comprising the villages of Tendon, Houx, Laveline, Dehiex, Chamontaruz and La Poirie, belonged to the bailiwick of Remiremont under the Ancien Régime and depended on the mastery of the waters and forests Épinal. It followed the dress of Lorraine.

In the church, the inhabitants of the current parish of Tendon were part of that of Docelles. This ended on 3 September 1707 when the bishow of Toul elevated the small Tendon chapel, which had been built 25 years earlier, into a parish. The bishop's decision was confirmed by the Pope in 1715, against opposition from the bishop of Metz who imagined himself to be in charge of the region. Tendon was part of the prévôté of Arches.

Established as a commune in 1790, Tendon was part of the canton of Éloyes in the district, then arrondissement, of Remiremont. After the an IX, the commune was reattached to the Remiremont canton in the arrondissement of Remiremont.


Father Voyaux de Franoux, born in 1760, was the founder of a girls school in 1825 and a hospital in 1834 in his native village. Educated at the collège de Saint-Claude, in Toul, he studied philosophy and theology in the Saint-Dié-des-Vosges Catholic seminary, then was sent to the Sorbonne by his bishop, where he received the grade of doctor. He was ordained as a priest and became head of the Trente-trois seminary Paris. During the French revolution, he emigrated to England where he was appointed apostolic vicar. After the restoration of the French monarchy, Louis XVIII made him almoner of the French embassy in London and canon of the Chapter of Saint-Denis.


  • The Grande Cascade and Petite Cascade of Tendon, the first upstream, at an altitude of 32 metres in the heart of the forest of firs.
  • The rocks of la Moulure.



1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2004t 2006
528 423 380 386 434 448 466 457


Description of the emblazon
Original French De sinople aux deux pals ondés d’argent, au franc-canton d’or chargé d’un tau de gueules.
English blazon blazon needed…
Notes The two silver stripes symbolise the Petite Cascade and the Grande Cascade, natural features of the region. The tau is the initial letter of the commune, in the colors of Lorraine.[1]
Status Official status to be determined…

See also


  1. ^ Lorraine genealogists' website

External links

  • The streams of Tendon
  • Site de l'INSEE
  • Data from the 2004 census on the IGN website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.