World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Town of Katherine

Article Id: WHEBN0016230713
Reproduction Date:

Title: Town of Katherine  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Local government areas of the Northern Territory, Katherine, Northern Territory, List of schools in the Northern Territory, Katherine Region
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Town of Katherine

Town of Katherine
Northern Territory
Katherine Town COuncil.PNG
Location of Katherine Town Council
Population 10,095 (2009)[1]
Established 1978
Area 528.0 km2 (203.9 sq mi)
Mayor Fay Miller
Council seat Katherine
Region Katherine
Territory electorate(s) Katherine
Federal Division(s) Lingiari
Website
LGAs around Town of Katherine:
Victoria Daly Roper Gulf Roper Gulf
Victoria Daly Town of Katherine Roper Gulf
Victoria Daly Victoria Daly Roper Gulf

The Town of Katherine is a local government area in the Northern Territory, established on 3 March 1978. It is situated 320 kilometres (200 mi) south of Darwin, and covers an area of 528.0 square kilometres (203.9 sq mi).

The Town of Katherine is an established residential township with a commercial area and rural areas on the outskirts of the town. The original inhabitants of the town were the Jawoyn and Dagomen Aboriginal people. European settlement of the area dates from 1871, following the construction of the Overland Telegraph Line. Growth of the town began to start from 1926, following the opening of the railway line. The township grew around the railway line. The most significant development occurred in the post-war years, aided by growth in the tourism industry.

The current mayor is Fay Miller, who presides over a council with five aldermen. Meetings are held 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month.

Suburbs

References

External links

  • Katherine Town Council
  • Katherine community id

Coordinates: 14°28′00″S 132°16′34″E / 14.4667°S 132.2762°E / -14.4667; 132.2762

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.