World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wesley College, Colombo

Article Id: WHEBN0002635632
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wesley College, Colombo  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Walisinghe Harischandra, Singer Sri Lankan Airlines Rugby 7's, Wesley College, Don Baron Jayatilaka, Private schools in Sri Lanka
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wesley College, Colombo


Wesley College, Colombo, popularly known as "Wesley" or "WCC" is a private school providing primary and secondary education in Sri Lanka. It is considered to be one of the leading schools in Sri Lanka. Wesley College is a Methodist educational institution.

History

In 1858 Rev. Joseph Rippon (a great uncle of Rev. Henry Highfield) wanted to establish a superior educational institution for the Wesleyan Methodist Mission in South Ceylon. On 2 March 1874 (the death anniversary of Rev. John Wesley) Wesley College was founded in the City Mission Buildings at Dam Street, Pettah Sri Lanka. Wesley’s first Principal was Rev. Samuel Wilkin and first Vice Principal, Rev. D. Henry Pereira. The Methodist institution was envisaged to be a distinctly Christian college, however it currently provides secondary education for over three thousand Sri Lankan students from diverse religious and ethnic backgrounds.

Wesley College is named after John Wesley (1703–1791), the founder of the Methodist Church.

Rev. Daniel Henry Pereira

Rev. Daniel Henry Pereira is considered to be the founder of Wesley College. The following is an excerpt from the 125th Anniversary Souvenir and was penned by Shelton Peiris.

In a Journey, back in time, to the environs of the dusty noisy Pettah, we go over to the Wesleyan Mission premises in Dam Street, where we find a group of children at the feet of a benign Minister, the Rev. Daniel Henry Pereira. It certainly was no place for a school but in spite of the many difficulties, no doubt inspired by the Lords invitation "suffer the little children to come up to me" This man kept his grace. Rev. Daniel Henry Pereira, born (circa) 1826 was the eldest son of the Rev. Don Daniel Pereira who started life as a young school master and taught in a school built by the Rev. Benjamin Clough. On joining the Ministry he followed deep evangelistic trends.

He was called " the apostle of Kurana – Negombo ". The Rev. Daniel Henry Pereira had a younger brother, who was Rev. Peter Bartholomeusz Pereira. Young Daniel Henry was keenly interested in teaching and at a very early age took an equally great interest in the snakes which he studied identifying their species and habits under a famous South Indian Snake Specialist who reserved no secrets as he instructed his pupil. Daniel Henry was quick to absorb the life pattern of these ophidian reptiles. In fact, in later years, he had edited a catalogue in Sinhala and had contributed to journals. He submitted papers to the Ceylon friend a journal associated with the Wesleyian Church. His contribution to these many journals gave rise to research. He was also an authority on ants in Ceylon. He had great hopes of being a Scientist but in response to his dying mothers wish, he entered the Ministry, in 1851. In addition to his knowledge of reptiles, ants, snails and slugs as a nature scientist he was also proficient in English, Sinhala and Portuguese.

His fluency and masterly use of these languages kept this congregations spellbound. He had also a knowledge of Hebrew and Greek. He had a brilliant mind displaying itself in lhe clarity of expression. Certainly he would have been on par with the Western Missionaries of evangelistic fervour. He was a pupil of the famed Oriental Scholar, the Rev. Don John Gogerley who was in charge of the Institute of Colombo which was an early "Divinity School". His interest in teaching combined with his parish work and his deep interest in natural science made him eminent. In his Parish work he served in many stations for over 25 years. Moratuwa, then a very large Parish, which he took over from the Rev. G. G. de Zilva saw him work with zest and vigour. He founded an English School at Gorakagaha in Mankada conducting cottage meetings in the homes of those Methodists whilst he resided at Rawattawatte. He contributed largely to the spiritual revival at Moratuwa. When he fell ill his work was taken over by the Rev. Robert Hardy. The school at Dam Street he conducted formed the beginning of Wesley College which was founded on 2 March 1874 of which he was the first ever vice Principal with the Rev. Samuel Rowse Wilkin its first Principal. (1874 -1879) who was followed by the Rev. Arthur Shipham (1880–1883) with whom Rev. Daniel Henry Pereira works till the latter's retirement.

The Rev. Daniel Henry Pereira's son, William H. D. Pereira, studied at Wesley. He was later an Assistant Accountant in the Colombo Port Commission. On his retirement as a Minister in 1882 he settled down in Hambantota. Though not in the best of health he visited homes and those persons who had surrendered their lives to Christ. They were greatly helped by this erudite, but simple, priest, with his life style, though plain, was rich in the -scriptures and its application. His was a life of deep prayer and faith of wide labour and concern ever with an alert mind. His old friend. Rev. Arthur Shipham who was stationed at Matara, no doubt, may have had communication with each other. The last few months of his life had been a challenge. His health was failing but his discipline and training, his deep reliance on his Saviour had increased his faith. He faced the storm yet on an even keel as he was confined to his home with restricted movement.

A large number of villagers visited him. It was on 22 November 1986 that death took him. His was a life that laboured and was well spent in the lords vineyard as 'answering the master's call 'come follow me'. Wesley commemorates the memory of her Founder, the Rev. Daniel Henry Pereira – annually on Founder's Day 2 March. This is the most important event in the School's calendar. A three storeyed imposing building dedicated to his memory, the " D. H. Pereira Memorial Building" to accommodate the junior school was constructed during the Principalship of Dunstan Fernando No doubt the labours of the Rev. Daniel Henry Perera – servant of God – has accumulated a rich harvest of which we, in this present age, are beneficiaries and no doubt this harvest will be garnered by ages yet unborn.

Houses

Wesley College has 4 main houses which are again divided to two as senior and junior houses. They are the following.

Passmore (Junior: Hunter) Moscrop (Junior: Lemphers) Hillard (Junior: Mack) Wilkin (Junior: Dias)

History

Rev. James Cartman was the principal at Wesley from 1945 to 1949.It was during Rev. Cartmans’ principal ship that Wesley College defeated cricket rivals Royal College, Colombo and S. Thomas' College, Mount Lavinia in 1947, both matches being played on the opponents’ grounds. Rev. Cartman was able to invite top cricketers of the world to Wesley College, whenever they passed through Colombo.

See also

External links

  • Official Website of the Wesley College, Colombo
  • Wesley College Colombo Old Boys' Union Australia
  • Main Portal of the Wesley College Colombo Old Boys' Union
  • Official Information Portal of the Wesley College Walk
  • List of Schools in Sri Lanka

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.