World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Wisconsin Field House

The Wisconsin Field House
Location 1450 Monroe St
Madison, WI 53711
Owner Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison
Operator Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison
Capacity 10,600
Construction
Broke ground September 26, 1929
Opened December 13, 1930
Construction cost $434,000
Architect Arthur Peabody and Paul Cret
Tenants
Wisconsin Badgers Men's Basketball
(1930-1998)
Wisconsin Badgers Women's Basketball
(1974-1998)
Wisconsin Badgers Volleyball
(1986-Present)
Wisconsin Badgers Wrestling
(1930-Present)
Wisconsin Badgers Boxing
(1933-1960)
WIAA State Boys Basketball Tournament
(1930-1935, 1937-1997)
WIAA State Girls Basketball Tournament
(1976-1997, 1999-2000, 2002)
WIAA State Wrestling Tournament
(1930-1997, 2005-Present)
University of Wisconsin Field House
Location 1450 Monroe St., Madison, Wisconsin
Architectural style Other, Italian Renaissance
Governing body State
NRHP Reference # 98000829[1]
Added to NRHP July 1, 1998

The Wisconsin Field House (commonly known as the UW Fieldhouse) is an 10,600-seat multi-purpose arena in Madison, Wisconsin, directly south of and abutting Camp Randall Stadium. In addition to sports events, the Field House has been the site of large community gatherings such as convocations and concerts. Designed by Wisconsin State Architect Arthur Peabody in consultation with Paul Cret of the firm of Laird and Cret, the arena opened in 1930. It was home to the Wisconsin Badgers basketball team before it moved to Kohl Center; currently the building is used by the volleyball and wrestling teams. Prior to occupying the Field House, the Badger men's basketball team played their games in the Red Gym. The Wisconsin volleyball team got its first-ever sellout on October 21, 2007, to watch the Badgers play No. 1 Penn State. The "W" crest at the top of the Field House, whose actual designer is unknown, is frequently employed as the emblem of the University of Wisconsin–Madison. The Field House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.

References

  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  
  • Field House construction details and historic photos

External links

  • Field House in The Buildings of the University of Wisconsin
  • The Fieldhouse on UWBadgers.com
  • Modern appreciation from Wisconsin Builder

Gallery

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.