World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wood Lane (Metropolitan line) tube station

 

Wood Lane (Metropolitan line) tube station

Wood Lane
Location Shepherd's Bush
Local authority Hammersmith & Fulham
Owner Metropolitan Railway
Number of platforms 2
Key dates
1 May 1908 Opened as Wood Lane (Exhibition)
31 October 1914 Closed
5 May 1920 Reopened on ad hoc basis as Wood Lane (White City)
23 November 1947 Renamed White City
24 October 1959 Closed
Replaced by Wood Lane
Other information
Lists of stations
London Transport portal

Wood Lane was a station on the London Underground that was located in Shepherd's Bush, west London. It was opened in 1908 on the Hammersmith branch of the Metropolitan Railway (now the Hammersmith & City line), on the viaduct adjacent to the bridge over Wood Lane and close to a station of the same name but on the Central London Railway (now the Central line).

It was closed temporarily in 1914, reopened in 1920 and eventually closed permanently in 1959 at which time it was served by the Metropolitan line.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Exhibition station 1.1
    • Reopening 1.2
    • Final renaming and subsequent closure 1.3

History

Exhibition station

The two Wood Lane stations were opened in 1908 to serve the Franco-British Exhibition and the 1908 Olympic Games in the area that was to become known as White City. The Metropolitan Railway's Wood Lane opened with the name Wood Lane (Exhibition) on 1 May 1908 and the Central London Railway's Wood Lane station opened on 14 May 1908. Both were intended to be temporary and to be closed after the exhibition and the Games. Wood Lane (Exhibition) station was closed on 31 October 1914, shortly after the outbreak of the First World War. The other Wood Lane became the permanent western terminus of the Central London Railway.

Advertising poster by Frederick Charles Herrick for transportation to an exhibition at White City, showing an assemblage of characters representing various advertising trademarks and emblems, including Bibendum, the Michelin Man; Johnnie Walker; and the Kodak Girl, in a station displaying advertising posters

Reopening

The station was brought back into use on 5 May 1920, with the name Wood Lane (White City), but was open only when an exhibition or event was being staged.

It was served by the Metropolitan line and was between Shepherd's Bush and Latimer Road.

Final renaming and subsequent closure

The Central line's Wood Lane closed, and was replaced by White City station situated just to the north, on 23 November 1947. The Metropolitan line station changed its name to White City on the same date. It retained this name for the remainder of its existence.

Following a fire in which one of the wooden platforms was destroyed, the Metropolitan line

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.