World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Zebbug, Malta

Article Id: WHEBN0002469408
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zebbug, Malta  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Qormi F.C., Frans Sammut, Dun Mikiel Xerri, Luigi Fontana
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Zebbug, Malta

For the village in Gozo, see Żebbuġ, Gozo.
Ħaż-Żebbuġ
Il-Kunsill Lokali ta' Ħaż-Żebbuġ
Città Rohan

Casal Żebbuġi
Local council
Ħaż-Żebbuġ

Coat of arms
Motto: Semper Virens

Coordinates: 35°52′23″N 14°26′31″E / 35.87306°N 14.44194°E / 35.87306; 14.44194Coordinates: 35°52′23″N 14°26′31″E / 35.87306°N 14.44194°E / 35.87306; 14.44194

Country  Malta
Island Malta
Borders Attard, Mdina, Qormi, Rabat, Siġġiewi
Government
 • Mayor Alfred Grixti (PL)
Area
 • Total 8.7 km2 (3.4 sq mi)
Population (March 2011)
 • Total 11,715
 • Density 1,300/km2 (3,500/sq mi)
Demonym Żebbuġi (m), Żebbuġija (f), Żebbuġin (pl)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code ŻBĠ
Dialing code 356
Patron saint St. Philip of Aggira
Day of festa Liturgical Feast: 12th May; Parish Feast; 2nd Sunday of June
Website

Ħaż-Żebbuġ or Città Rohan is one of the oldest towns in Malta. Its population is 11,715 as of March 2011.[1]

History and origins

The Parish Church is dedicated to Philip of Agira and the feast is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of June, although the actual feast day falls on the 12th day of May. The name of the town literally means "olives" in Maltese; it derives from the large olive groves that stood in and around the current location of the church and the centre of the town. The town was bestowed with the title of Città Rohan by Grandmaster Emmanuel de Rohan-Polduc in 1777. As was the custom in such events, the people of Ħaż-Żebbuġ built an archway at the entrance to their hometown by way of marking the incipiency of its status as a city. The gateway, known by the locals as "Il-Bieb il-Ġdid" or New Gateway still stands today.

In 1380 a church dedicated to St. Philip of Agira was built in Casal Zebugi, a tract of land situated in the middle of the small communities which had developed during the previous Arab occupation of Malta, namely Ħal-Dwin, Ħal-Muxi and Ħal-Mula and which were eventually joined together forming the village known till today as Ħaż-Żebbuġ. Filippo de Catania "il-Kataniż" (Philip of Catania) a wealthy entrepreneur owning land in Ħaż-Żebbuġ funded part of the construction of St. Philip Church built on his own land. Long years after it became the parish church another one, designed by Tumas Dingli, was erected in its stead in the late seventeenth century. The Church boasts a magnificent titular painting by Luca Garnier and two spectacular murals by the great Maltese 18th Century painter of the Favray school, Francesco Zahra, which critics consider to be his best works. Among other treasures the Church possesses an artefact attributed to Guido Reni and several others by Antonio Sciortino. The statue of St. Philip, by sculptor Luigi Fontana, was created in 1864 and is regarded by connoisseurs as the most beautiful of its genre in the country.

When Malta was an independent principality under the sovereign Order of St. John, Ħaż-Żebbuġ was among the chief towns after Valletta and Mdina, first because of the presence of leading corsairs among its inhabitants, subsequently due to its major role in the cotton industry. The magnificence of St Philip's Church is the foremost evidence of the pre-eminent place Ħaż-Żebbuġ enjoys in Maltese history.

The locals or Żebbuġin as they are known in Malta are renowned for their business acumen amongst others, and there is a local saying to this end. Due to the Żebbuġin's Francophile past, the town was regarded as a friendly community when the Revolutionary French took Malta. During their rule in Malta (1798-1800), the local churches were plundered for their riches in order to fund Napoleon's campaign. The Ħaż-Żebbuġ locals opened the main door to the church when they heard the French were coming and hastily hid the gold and silver religious iconography. When the French saw the open doors of the church they kept on going and the Żebbuġin retained their religious riches.

Archaeology

Malta is very rich in archaeological remains and Ħaż-Żebbuġ is no exception. It gave its name to an era of prehistoric time when pottery of a kind not known as yet was found in tombs in the area known as Ta' Trapna. Later archaeological finds constructed at around the same time where subsequently known as "Żebbuġ phase" remains. A scattering of Punic and Phoenician tombs were also found together with a small number of cart ruts and other remains.

Today

Ħaż-Żebbuġ is renowned for its spectacular festas dedicated to the Patron Saint St. Philip of Agira and to St. Joseph, a secondary feast. There are three band clubs in Ħaż-Żebbuġ, all of which have respective fireworks factories: De Rohan Band Club (established in 1860[2]), St. Philip's Band Club and the 12 May Band and Social Club (established in 1961).

Ħaż-Żebbuġ is the birthplace of various prominent Maltese personalities who have adorned the national cultural history down the ages, such as Mikiel Anton Vassalli (father of the written Maltese language), Dun Mikiel Xerri (patriot), Nicolo Isouard (composer), Dun Karm Psaila (Malta's national poet), Antonio Sciortino (sculptor), Lazzaro Pisani (painter), Frans Sammut (leading contemporary author), and Alfred Chircop (foremost contemporary painter).

Ħaż-Żebbuġ is the locality where the French Ambassador to Malta lives in what used to be previously the Palazzo Manduca. The Grand Chancery of the Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem is also situated in the city.

International relations

The Zebbug Local Council, which represents the Zebbug residents, joined the European Forum for Urban Security and, in 2011, was elected to the EFUS Executive Committee.

Twin towns – Sister cities

Żebbuġ is twinned with:

The city also has a cooperation agreement with:

Town Clubs

  • St Philip's Band Club (Kazin tal-Banda San Filep)

*12 May Band & Social Club (Kazin Banda 12 May)

Ħaż-Żebbuġ main roads

  • Misraħ San Filippu (St. Philip Square)
  • Triq Ħ'Attard (Attard Road)
  • Triq Ħal Mula (Hal Mula Road)
  • Triq il-Buskett (Buskett Road)
  • Triq il-Kbira (Main Street)
  • Triq il-Mitħna (Windmill Street)
  • Triq is-Siġġiewi (Siggiewi Road)
  • Triq l-Imdina (Mdina Road)
  • Triq Mikiel Anġ Sapiano (Michael Angelo Sapiano Street)
  • Triq Sant' Antnin (St. Anthony Street)
  • Triq Sciortino (Sciortino Street)
  • Triq Tal-Grazzja (Tal-Grazzia Road)
  • Vjal il-Ħelsien (Freedom Avenue)

Two websites can be found in the web about this village and these are www.haz-zebbug.com and www.cittarohan.org which are worth visiting.

References

Notes

External links

  • Ħaż-Żebbuġ Local Council
  • Ħaż-Żebbuġ Parish
  • Ħaż-Żebbuġ
  • Ħaż-Żebbuġ
  • Reflections in colour - Haż-Żebbuġ

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.