World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli

Article Id: WHEBN0029319624
Reproduction Date:

Title: Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Papal conclave, 1655, Papal conclave, 1644
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli

Painting of Cardinal Rapaccioli[1] by Giovanni Battista Salvi da Sassoferrato.

Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli (1608 - 15 May 1657) was an Italian Catholic Cardinal.

Rapaccioli was born in 1608, the son of a modest family in Narni, Italy.[2]

He entered the service of the church and became a referendary of the Tribunals of the Apostolic Signatura of Justice and of Grace then Regent of the Apostolic Chancery in 1634. In 1634 he became Cleric and Treasurer-General of the Apostolic Chamber. He was also appointed President of the archives and Commissary of the papal army during the Wars of Castro.

In July 1643 Rapaccioli was elevated to cardinal by Pope Urban VIII, was made papal legate to the Province of Viterbo and Cardinal-Priest of Santa Maria in Via Lata. Later that year.[3]

When Pope Urban died the following year, Rapaccioli participated in the Papal conclave of 1644 which elected Pope Innocent X. He was made abbot of Saint-Athanase de Carbonne. In 1646 he was elected Bishop of Terni.

In 1650 he was appointed Cardinal-Priest of Santa Cecilia in Trastevere while retaining administration of the diocese of Terni. He participated in the conclave of 1655 which elected Pope Alexander VII and became Camerlengo of the Sacred College of Cardinals between 1656 and 1657. In 1656 he resigned the government of his diocese.

Rapaccioli died on 15 May 1657 in his palace on Capitoline Hill, Rome.

References and notes

  1. ^ Identity of subject not confirmed; may be Paolo Emilio Rondinini
  2. ^ S. Miranda: Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli
  3. ^ Catholic Hierarchy: Francesco Angelo Cardinal Rapaccioli
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.