World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sesswick

Article Id: WHEBN0027223200
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sesswick  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of communities in Wales, Wrexham Rural District, Wrexham County Borough Council
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sesswick


Sesswick is a small rural local government community, the lowest tier of local government, part of Wrexham County Borough in Wales. It lies south-east of Wrexham near Marchwiel.

The area was historically part of Denbighshire, where it was one of the townships of the parish of Bangor Monachorum (Bangor-on-Dee). The neighbouring township of Royton was incorporated in it in 1935.

The name Sesswick, recorded as Sesewyke in 1286, is one of the names indicating an early English presence in this part of north-east Wales; it is possibly derived from the Old English personal name "Seassa", along with -wic, meaning "settlement".[1] However, the Wrexham historian Alfred Neobard Palmer, noting that the name was recorded as "Chespric" in the Domesday of Cheshire, speculated that it may have come from "Chadswick" in reference to land in the township being owned by St. Chad, the first bishop of Mercia.[2]

The community's only village is Cross Lanes: it also includes several small hamlets (though no settlement itself having the name of Sesswick). In the 2001 census Sesswick had a total population of 591 in 236 households.[3]

The area gave its name to a rural station, Sesswick Halt, on the former Cambrian Railways' Wrexham and Ellesmere Railway; the line and station closed in 1962.

References

Coordinates: 53°01′18″N 2°55′14″W / 53.02165°N 2.92056°W / 53.02165; -2.92056

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.