World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Boundary Field

Article Id: WHEBN0001288744
Reproduction Date:

Title: Boundary Field  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Griffith Stadium, American League Park, Washington Senators (1891–99), Minnesota Twins, History of Washington, D.C. professional baseball
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Boundary Field

Boundary Field is a former Florida Avenue, NW. It was just outside what was then the city limit of Washington, whose northern boundary was Boundary Street (later renamed Florida Avenue).

The ground was home to the Washington Senators of the American Association in 1891 and then of the National League from 1892 to 1899 after the League absorbed the Association. The League contracted after the 1899 season and the Senators folded.

From 1891 to 1893, the field was the venue for home games of the Georgetown Hoyas football program.

The field was also called National Park as the home of the American League's Washington Nationals from 1903 to 1911. When the American League declared itself a major league and began raiding National League rosters for talent, the National League decided to retain its lease on the Boundary Field property. This forced the Nationals to find a new home, and they settled upon a field with the prosaic name American League Park.

After peace was made between the two leagues, the Nationals moved to the old Boundary Field location. They played there for the next eight seasons. In 1909, the annual Congressional Baseball Game was begun, and was held at this venue and its successor for the next few decades

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.