World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Daniel Webster Council

Article Id: WHEBN0020615126
Reproduction Date:

Title: Daniel Webster Council  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Northeast Region (Boy Scouts of America), Boy Scouts of America, Local councils of the Boy Scouts of America, Daniel Webster, Defunct local councils of the Boy Scouts of America
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Daniel Webster Council

Daniel Webster Council
Owner Boy Scouts of America
Location New Hampshire
Country United States
Coordinates
Website
http://www.nhscouting.org

Daniel Webster Council is a division of the Boy Scouts of America that serves most of New Hampshire.

History

In 1912, two years after the Boy Scouts of America were founded in the YMCA. As Scouting grew in popularity, three more makeshift and unrecognized councils sprang up in Dover, Claremont, and Portsmouth. The council grew steadily and added a Scout Executive to its staff in 1919.

On January 9, 1920, the Manchester Council was granted an official charter with the Boy Scouts of America. At that time, the council represented ten troops and 256 Scouts within Manchester, and 87 troops with a total of 1621 Scouts in New Hampshire. In 1925, the Manchester Council acquired Camp Manning in Gilmanton for use as a summer camp. While the Manchester Council grew rapidly, the rest of New Hampshire's Scouting program saw limited growth.

On May 25, 1929, the Manchester Council was renamed the Daniel Webster Council (#330),and expanded to cover Scouting for the entire state. The new name was derived from New Hampshire statesman Daniel Webster.[1]

Organization

The Daniel Webster Council is divided into nine districts:

  • Abnaki District
  • Arrowhead District
  • Great Northern District
  • Historic District
  • Massabesic District
  • Mount Monadnock District
  • Sunapee District
  • Wannalancit District
  • Nutfield District

Camps

Griswold Scout Reservation

Griswold Scout Reservation is a Scouting reservation located near Gilmanton Iron Works, New Hampshire, United States. There are two summer camps located within it: Hidden Valley Scout Camp and Camp Bell.

Covering over 3,500 acres (1,400 ha) of forest, lakes, and mountains, the Scout Reservation was first run by the Norumbega Council. In 1971, the Daniel Webster Council acquired what was then called the Hidden Valley Scout Reservation. In 2000, the camp acquired additional land, which it named Camp Bell, and the total reservation was renamed Griswold Hidden Valley Scout Reservation.

Hidden Valley is run as a traditional Scout camp with full dining facilities and a wide variety of program areas and activities. Camp Bell is run with a higher emphasis on strengthening the Patrol Method. Campers do their own cooking in their sites, and participate in day-long activities as patrols. Camp Bell has a different variety of activities from Hidden Valley, including their "living history areas," and a different set of merit badges are available.

The land currently used primarily by Camp Bell has been used as the homes of many other camps, most recently Camp Manning, which after being sold by the Daniel Webster Council to private owners, changed ownership several times and had previously existed as a camp run by various organization such as the YMCA who called it Camp Leo. Camp Bell was named for a member of the council's executive board who was instrumental in reacquiring the property for the council.

Camp Carpenter

Camp Carpenter is the Cub Scout Summer camp located in Manchester, New Hampshire. It has a dining hall, a swimming lake and ample tent space. It is also home to the Lawrence L. Lee Scouting Museum.

Unity Program Center

The Unity Program Center is a five acre property with an indoor facility, an outdoor stage and camping and event areas located on Mica Mine Road in Unity, New Hampshire.

Passaconaway Lodge

The Order of the Arrow is represented by the Passaconaway Lodge.

See also

References

  1. ^ "Daniel Webster Council - About Us Homepage". 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.