World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Laneshaw Bridge

Article Id: WHEBN0012568487
Reproduction Date:

Title: Laneshaw Bridge  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Colne, List of places in Lancashire, Civil parishes in Lancashire, Colne Water, Wycoller Beck, BB postcode area
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Laneshaw Bridge

Coordinates: 53°51′46″N 2°07′10″W / 53.8627°N 2.1194°W / 53.8627; -2.1194

Laneshaw Bridge
Lancashire
Population 759 (2001)
OS grid reference SD925405
Civil parish Laneshaw Bridge
District Pendle
Shire county Lancashire
Region North West
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town COLNE
Postcode district BB8
Dialling code 01282
Police Lancashire
Fire Lancashire
Ambulance North West
EU Parliament North West England
UK Parliament Pendle
List of places
UK
England
Lancashire

Laneshaw Bridge (otherwise Laneshawbridge) is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Pendle. It is to the east of Colne in Lancashire and is the easternmost settlement in Lancashire on the main road route, before the North Yorkshire border.

The roots of Laneshaw Bridge, or “The Brig” as it is affectionately know by the locals, date from the time of William the Conqueror, when he gave some land to the Emmott family, which they still own. It is thought that the family were given land for their military support, and founded a hamlet known as “Eamot” which later became Laneshawbridge, and then, for some reason, was renamed Laneshaw Bridge before the millennium. The family resided at Emmott Hall, the first of which dated back to 1310, but it was to be modified, rebuilt and finally demolished in 1967.

Near to where the hall stood is Emmott House, which was a coach house to the main hall and dates back to 1737. In the 1990s, the old boating lake was dug out to create Hullow’n Fishery, and this is run by the Choyce family for sporting purposes.

Next to the lake is Hullow’n Well which has its own history. It has been claimed that this the Eamot where in AD 926 King Athelstan, confirmed a treaty of peace between the Welsh, Scots and Northumbrians.[1]

The Emmotts owned much of the village, and provided a school, as well as St Andrew's Church, both of which are residential properties to this day.

It would also appear that the family had a public house which was probably used as a shooting lodge. The first village inn, possibly called "the Rochester" is rumoured to be what is today Rye Flatt Farmhouse which has just been restored to be the village's only bed and breakfast.

A trip up Emmott Lane will take you past the village park, around which the village is built, to the Alma Inn.

The village of Trawden is 2 miles (3 km) to the south west and the historic village of Wycoller is 2 miles (3 km) to the south.

Local media

See Colne and Trawden.

References

External links

  • Laneshaw Bridge Parish Council Website, includes some brief details and photographs
  • Pendle Net - Laneshawbridge webpages
  • Colne Township - British History Online
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.