Mulford farmhouse

Mulford Farmhouse
General information
Location Mulford Farmhouse, East Hampton, New York
Governing body Private
Design and construction
Architect Josiah Hobart, builder/owner

Coordinates: 40°57′24″N 72°11′28″W / 40.95668451°N 72.19111919°W / 40.95668451; -72.19111919

Mulford Farm in East Hampton, Long Island, New York, is one of America's most significant, intact English colonial farmsteads. The Mulford farmhouse was built in 1680 by High Sheriff Josiah Hobart, an important early official of the first New York Royal Province government. Samuel "Fish Hook" Mulford bought the property in 1712 when Mr. Hobart died. He had the Mulford barn built in 1721.[1] The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[discuss]

The Mulford Farm site is interpreted as the year 1790, and includes the Mulford house, barn, spinning dependency, privy, smokehouse and garden. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is owned and operated as a living museum by the East Hampton Historical Society.[1]

The museum is located at 10 James Lane, off Montauk Highway, East Hampton, New York. It is open from Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day weekend.

References

External links

  • East Hampton Historical Society: Mulford Farm
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.