World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tsugaru Line

Article Id: WHEBN0019303675
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tsugaru Line  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Nakasawa Station, Hidariseki Station, HB-E300 series, Aomori Prefecture, Aomori Station
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Tsugaru Line

Tsugaru Line
Tsugaru Line along Mutsu Bay
Type Heavy rail Passenger
Termini Aomori
Stations 18
Opened 1951
Owner JR East
Rolling stock KiHa 100 series
Line length
Track gauge 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
Electrification 20 kV AC, 50 Hz (Aomori to Shin Naka-Oguni Signal)
Route map

The Tsugaru Line (津軽線 Tsugaru-sen) is a railway line operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East). It connects Aomori Station and Minmaya Station on the Tsugaru Peninsula in western Aomori Prefecture.

The section of the line between Aomori Station and Naka-Oguni Station is a part of the Tsugaru-Kaikyō Line connecting Honshu and Hokkaido.

Station list

Station Japanese Distance (km) Limited express Transfers Location
Aomori 青森 - 0.0 Ōu Main Line
Aoimori Railway Line
Aomori Aomori
Aburakawa 油川 6.0 6.0  
Tsugaru-Miyata 津軽宮田 3.7 9.7  
Okunai 奥内 1.8 11.5  
Hidariseki 左堰 1.6 13.1  
Ushirogata 後潟 1.6 14.7  
Nakasawa 中沢 2.1 16.8  
Yomogita 蓬田 2.3 19.1   Yomogita
Gōsawa 郷沢 2.0 21.1  
Seheji 瀬辺地 2.3 23.4  
Kanita 蟹田 3.6 27.0   Sotogahama
Naka-Oguni 中小国 3.4 31.4 Kaikyō Line
Ōdai 大平 3.6 35.0  
Tsugaru-Futamata 津軽二股 11.6 46.6 Kaikyō Line (Tsugaru-Imabetsu Station) Imabetsu
Ōkawadai 大川平 2.0 48.6  
Imabetsu 今別 2.4 51.0  
Tsugaru-Hamana 津軽浜名 1.7 52.7  
Minmaya 三厩 3.1 55.8  
◇ - Trains can pass each other at this station
| - Trains cannot pass

The portion from Aomori and Naka-Oguni is electrified.


Plans existed to link the prefectural capital of Aomori with the northern tip of the Tsugaru Peninsula from the time of the Meiji period Railway Construction Act. In 1930, the privately held Tsugaru Railway began operations on the western side of Tsugaru Peninsula, and surveying work was completed by the Japanese Government Railways (JGR) to build a government-operated line on the eastern side of Tsugaru Peninsula. These plans were postponed by the outbreak of World War II, and were only resumed in the 1950s under the Japanese National Railways (JNR).

On December 5, 1951, the first segment of the Tsugaru Line was completed from Aomori to Kanita. This was extended by October 21, 1958 to the present northern terminus at Minmaya. Additional intermediate stations were added in 1959 and 1960.

All scheduled freight operations were suspended on December 10, 1984. With the privatization of the JNR on April 1, 1987, the line came under the operational control of JR East. From March 13, 1988, the tracks between Aomori Station and the Shin Naka-Oguni Signal are jointly used by JR East, JR Hokkaido's Tsugaru-Kaikyō Line and Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight).

In 1988 the Aomori - Shin Naka-Oguni section was electrified in conjunction with the opening of the Seikan Tunnel and associated Tsugaru-Kaikyō Line.

See also


This article incorporates material from the corresponding article in the Japanese WorldHeritage.

  • Harris, Ken and Clarke, Jackie. Jane's World Railways 2008-2009. Jane's Information Group (2008). ISBN 0-7106-2861-7

External links

  • JR East website (Japanese)

Media related to Tsugaru Line at Wikimedia Commons

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.