World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wanroij

Article Id: WHEBN0011205694
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wanroij  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sint Anthonis, List of populated places in the Netherlands, Noord, North Brabant, List of cities, towns and villages in North Brabant, S-Z
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wanroij

Wanroij
1866_Wanroij.gif

Coordinates: 51°39′22″N 5°49′12″E / 51.65611°N 5.82000°E / 51.65611; 5.82000

Country Netherlands
Province Noord-Brabant
Municipality Sint Anthonis
Population (2012) 4,800

Wanroij is a village in the Dutch province of North Brabant. It is located in the municipality of Sint Anthonis, about 9 km west of the town of Boxmeer.

Wanroij was a separate municipality until 1994, when it became part of Sint Anthonis.[1]

History

The name Wanroij was found first in 1265. A person called Bertradis van Wanrode signed, together with son Johan, a certificate.

From the French period on Wanroij was an individual municipality. In 1942 it was expanded with the villages Rijkevoort and Landhorst. In 1994 the area became part of a larger municipality, the municipality of Sint Anthonis. Rijkevoort then became part of the municipality of Boxmeer.

The church in Wanroij was named after the Pope Cornelius. Until 1994 Cornelius was represented in the flag of the municipality.

For a long period of time Wanroij was very isolated. Around 1850 the infrastructure developed a lot. The first street lanterns were placed in 1922. The first road which was not just a path to other villages was made in 1922, going from Wanroij to Haps.

In the 19th century the amount of inhabitants was around 1100. In 1942, it were 1895 people. In a few years it grew to about 3000, and at this moment the estimated amount of inhabitants is 4800.

References

External links

  • , 1865-1870, "Wanroij". Map of the former municipality, around 1868.

Coordinates: 51°39′N 5°49′E / 51.650°N 5.817°E / 51.650; 5.817


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.