World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chopwell

Article Id: WHEBN0005018287
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chopwell  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Chopwell Colliery, Low Westwood, Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead, John Clavering (died 1762), Ricky Fenson
Collection: Communism in the United Kingdom, Villages in Tyne and Wear
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chopwell

Chopwell

The main street of Chopwell
Chopwell is located in Tyne and Wear
Chopwell
 Chopwell shown within Tyne and Wear
OS grid reference
Metropolitan borough Gateshead
Metropolitan county Tyne and Wear
Region North East
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
Postcode district NE17
Dialling code 01207
Police Northumbria
Fire Tyne and Wear
Ambulance North East
EU Parliament North East England
UK Parliament Blaydon
List of places
UK
England
Tyne and Wear

Chopwell is a village in Tyne and Wear, located approximately three miles west of Rowlands Gill and one mile north of Hamsterley.

It dates back to at least 1150, evidenced by a written document in which Bishop Pudsey granted the Manor of Chopwell to the first Abbot of Newminster. Newminster Abbey retained possession of the Manor until the dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536.[1]

Traditionally an area of coal mining, Chopwell was nicknamed "Little Moscow" because of the strong support for the Communist Party. Chopwell counts "Marx Terrace" and "Lenin Terrace" among its street names, and during the 1926 General Strike the Union Flag at the council offices was taken down and replaced with the Soviet flag.

In 1974, Chopwell became part of the metropolitan county of Tyne and Wear and the metropolitan borough of Gateshead, after previously being part of the administrative county of Durham.

Chopwell is currently home to over 3,000 people.

See also

References

  1. ^ http://www.localhistorygateshead.com/localhistory/gateshead-places/chopwell1

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.