World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Millburn distillery

Article Id: WHEBN0026366106
Reproduction Date:

Title: Millburn distillery  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ladyburn distillery, Ben Wyvis distillery, Tomatin distillery, Caperdonich distillery, Strathisla distillery
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Millburn distillery


The Millburn distillery was a producer of single malt Scotch whisky that operated between 1807 and 1985. Its whisky was an important component of the "Mill Burn" vatted malt.

History

The distillery was founded as "Inverness Distillery" by one Mr. Welsh in 1807 (sixteen years before the passage of the Excise Act of 1823, which legalized whisky distillation.) It came under the control of James Rose and Alexander MacDonald in 1825, but the company was sold off four years later.

In 1853, David Rose acquired the distillery and transferred control to his son, George Rose, in 1881. The younger Rose ran the distillery until 1892, when it was sold again to Andrew Haig & Co. In 1904, the distillery's name was officially changed to "Millburn" with the formation of the Millburn Distillery Company. In 1921, Millburn was acquired by Booth's Distillers Ltd. of London. The owners were able to rebuild and restore operation after a fire damaged the distillery in 1922.

Millburn became part of the Distillers Company Ltd. family as a result of the 1935 merger of Booth's with William Sanderson & Co., which itself was purchased by DCL in 1937. DCL moved Millburn under the control of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd in 1943.

Millburn was closed in 1985, and in 1988 many of the buildings were demolished to allow for the property to be re-developed. In 1989, a restaurant named "The Auld Distillery" was opened in one of the remaining Millburn buildings.

External links

  • Scotch Whisky
  • Malt Madness
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.